Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Springsteen in Philly for Obama

"I am glad to be here today for this voter registration drive and
for Barack Obama, the next President of the United States.

I've spent 35 years writing about America, its people, and the
meaning of the American Promise. The Promise that was handed down
to us, right here in this city from our founding fathers, with one
instruction: Do your best to make these things real. Opportunity,
equality, social and economic justice, a fair shake for all of our
citizens, the American idea, as a positive influence, around the
world for a more just and peaceful existence. These are the things
that give our lives hope, shape, and meaning. They are the ties
that bind us together and give us faith in our contract with one
another.

I've spent most of my creative life measuring the distance between
that American promise and American reality. For many Americans,
who are today losing their jobs, their homes, seeing their
retirement funds disappear, who have no healthcare, or who have
been abandoned in our inner cities. The distance between that
promise and that reality has never been greater or more painful.

I believe Senator Obama has taken the measure of that distance in
his own life and in his work. I believe he understands, in his
heart, the cost of that distance, in blood and suffering, in the
lives of everyday Americans. I believe as president, he would work
to restore that promise to so many of our fellow citizens who have
justifiably lost faith in its meaning. After the disastrous
administration of the past 8 years, we need someone to lead us in
an American reclamation project. In my job, I travel the world, and
occasionally play big stadiums, just like Senator Obama. I've
continued to find, wherever I go, America remains a repository of
peoples hopes, possibilities, and desires, and that despite the
terrible erosion to our standing around the world, accomplished by
our recent administration, we remain, for many, a house of dreams.
One thousand George Bushes and one thousand Dick Cheneys will never
be able to tear that house down.

They will, however, be leaving office, dropping the national
tragedies of Katrina, Iraq, and our financial crisis in our laps.
Our sacred house of dreams has been abused, looted, and left in a
terrible state of disrepair. It needs care; it needs saving, it
needs defending against those who would sell it down the river for
power or a quick buck. It needs strong arms, hearts, and minds. It
needs someone with Senator Obama's understanding, temperateness,
deliberativeness, maturity, compassion, toughness, and faith, to
help us rebuild our house once again. But most importantly, it
needs us. You and me. To build that house with the generosity that
is at the heart of the American spirit. A house that is truer and
big enough to contain the hopes and dreams of all of our fellow
citizens. That is where our future lies. We will rise or fall as a
people by our ability to accomplish this task. Now I don't know
about you, but I want that dream back, I want my America back, I
want my country back.

So now is the time to stand with Barack Obama and Joe Biden, roll
up our sleeves, and come on up for the rising."

No comments: