Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Lists, and the Earbender Sports Personality of the Year


Everybody breaks out some sort of list or ranking at the end of the year of their favorite movies, records, meals, etc. and I am thinking about doing the same. I want to create a new approach, somehow do things a little differently than just saying "this is my top 10, get into it."

One thing I have always done is throw in a few non recordings, such as books, movies, concerts and other highlights of the year. I'll put up a Top 10 favorite entertainment items of 2007 sometime soon.

With a slightly different spirit than the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year, a few years ago I started naming the Earbender Sports Personality of the Year. My nominees for the 2007 honoree include Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton (above), New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain, Rutgers Women's Basketball and Jamaica's Veronica Campbell. I want summarize and commemorate the year, publicize achievement and also "character."

Previous recipients include Ozzie Guillen (2005) and Drew Brees (2006).

Some folks who would have won a few of them include Hank Aaron, Muhammad Ali, Thurman Munson, Derek Jeter and Mark Messier. Maybe I should start an Earbender sports Gallery of Greats?

Incidentally, in the coming weeks we will be rooting hard for our friend Rich "Goose" Gossage to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Goose may even get me to mention music on this page!

And 2008 will be the year that I finally, officially launch The Rosenfelder Index, which comes out the week before the Super Bowl, whenever that is.

People like lists.

No comments: